Infants up to 12 months old
One dosing strength option: 4,000 USP lipase units per 120 mL of formula or per breastfeeding
Instructions for dosing
It’s important to give your baby PERTZYE right before each feeding of formula or breast milk!
1. Open the capsule and mix the contents with a soft, acidic food (for example, applesauce)
- Contents of the capsule may also be given directly to your baby’s mouth
2. Always give your baby breast milk or formula right after you give them their medicine
3. Look inside your baby’s mouth to see if all of the contents of the capsule have been swallowed
- Make sure the contents of the capsule are not crushed, chewed, or retained in the mouth
Children (older than 12 months) and adults
Three dosing strength options: 8,000, 16,000, and 24,000 USP lipase unit capsules. Dosing is based on your age, body weight, and diet.
Giving the contents of the 4,000 USP lipase unit capsule of PERTZYE through a gastrostomy tube (G-tube)
PERTZYE 4,000 lipase units capsule contents may be given through a gastrostomy tube that is size 14 French or larger. Do not give PERTZYE through a gastrostomy tube smaller than size 14 French.
Do not give more than the contents of 2 PERTZYE 4,000 lipase units capsules through a gastrostomy tube at a time.
Give the PERTZYE capsule contents-food mixture right away after it is prepared.
Gastrostomy Tube Administration Instructions
- Place at least 2 teaspoons of applesauce, or other food recommended by your doctor, into a clean container.
- Carefully open 1 or 2 of the PERTZYE capsules, depending on your prescribed dose, by grasping and slightly squeezing both ends of the capsule and then twisting and pulling the capsule apart. Pour the capsule contents onto the food in the clean container. Throw away the empty PERTZYE capsules.
- Carefully mix the capsule contents evenly through the food. Be careful not to crush the PERTZYE capsule contents when mixing.
- Remove the plunger from a 35 mL slip tip syringe. Cover the tip of the syringe with your finger.
- Carefully spoon the PERTZYE capsule contents-food mixture into the slip tip syringe.
- Replace the plunger partially back into the slip tip syringe.
- Turn the slip tip syringe so the syringe tip is facing upward. Remove your finger from the tip of the slip tip syringe.
- Gently shake or tap the slip tip syringe so that the PERTZYE capsule contents-food mixture moves down towards the plunger.
- Carefully push up slowly on the plunger until the PERTZYE capsule contents-food mixture fills the syringe tip.
- Connect the slip tip syringe directly into the gastrostomy tube feeding port.
- Press on the plunger of the slip tip syringe using steady pressure to push all of the PERTZYE capsule contents-food mixture into the gastrostomy tube feeding port over 10 seconds to 12 seconds.
- Flush the gastrostomy feeding port tube with about 10 mL of water.
- If your prescribed dose is more than 2 capsules of PERTZYE, repeat steps 1 through 12, using only 1 or 2 PERTZYE capsules at a time, until the prescribed dose is given.